Read Write Inc, our Phonics programme
Raising standards in literacy for every child
We use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their literacy. RWI is a method of learning centred round letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and spelling.
- We use the Read Write inc. programme to teach reading and to develop the skills needed for spelling. We link what we learn during these sessions and use these skills to read and write across the whole curriculum.
- Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become a good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns, the more he or she will want to find out.
- Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn how to blend sounds
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write and spell words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences
Follow these links to watch some RWI video clips and learn more about the phonics your child will be learning. This will enable you support your child at home.
Click on the links below to play some phonics game and practise your skills
Parent Information - click on the links below to learn about how we teach phonics at school.